Monday, April 1, 2013

Seconds and Thirds

Over New Years, there was a fairly large debacle. Overall, family was upset at my depression (which I had yet to admit to myself existed) and I was fairly upset at the idea that people who don't see me on a weekly basis would have the audacity to say they knew anything about me. Turns out, we were both right and both hot-tempered to say the least. Remember how I said I was angry a lot? Yeah, I was DEFINITELY blind with rage during a fair portion of the holiday when I really shouldn't have been. Things got worked out in a hurry though, and it ended up being an overall positive experience for everyone. One of the more positive things (though I was not happy about it at the time) that came of all this was my Father-in-Law suggesting I get a second and third opinion about my Fibromyalgia diagnosis.

Near the end of January, I bit the bullet and began looking for a second and third opinion on my so-called Fibromyalgia. The meds weren't working anymore and I was tired of being doped up all the time. Something must have caused it, so why wasn't my doctor trying to figure it out? My second opinion confirmed the diagnosis, suggested the same medications I was on, and sent me on my way. But the third opinion was the kicker.

I made an appointment with Fibromyalgia Seattle, their website claims to be able to help most fibro patients without surgery or medication. I figure why not, it can't hurt to try. Wade was rather peeved, "Of COURSE they're going to tell you you have fibro! They're called FIBROMYALGIA Seattle!!" He was right. Sort of. They told us that fibro is just a fancy name for chronic pain. It's not a real diagnosis of anything, and doesn't really provide any information on what to do or how it was caused. So "Sure" she said, "you fit into the fibro group, but I want to figure out why". HOORAY!! Someone who wants a real answer!

I often compare my previous fibro doctors to a math teacher I once had. I asked why the Pythagorean Theorem works, to which she replied "Because somebody in Mathematics Land says so" That is NOT an answer. When I ask what to do about my Fibromyalgia, "Be on medication for the rest of your life" is NOT an answer either. Unfortunately that's the answer I had been getting.

Back to Fibro Seattle: after going over my extensive medical history, taking x-rays of my spine, and doing a variety of other tests, doc tells us that she thinks she's found the problem, but that she has no guarantees. Come to find out, after all those head/neck/spine/tailbone injuries, things didn't naturally go back in place like I assumed they would. I figured since I was growing and it didn't hurt, that my bones would go back to where they belong and it would be no big deal. Not like I played sports or anything, nothing was broken or fractured, I was achy sometimes, but who isn't? So, my neck curves backwards. posterior (toward my behind) instead of anterior (toward my front). This puts pressure on my spinal column. Which says "OW" and sends pain receptors through my whole body because the nerves are angry. 

Through many sessions of chiropractic adjustment, Fibro Seattle is also the Northwest Clinic of Chiropractic, and many more to go, I'm starting to feel a ton better. I'm roughly 6 weeks in and we've gone from adjusting every other vertebrae to adjusting an average of 4. Yeah, 16 to 4 in about 6 weeks of twice weekly visits. I'd seen other chiropractors for months with a tenth of those results. My overall pain is gone, I quit taking my fibro medicine a few months ago, I didn't think they were working so I told my old doc I was done taking them and done seeing her. My posture is much improved and I don't have a visible hump at my shoulders anymore. 

Even if this is not the 100% solution, I have come so far in the last few months that every step has been worth it. I went back to work (few hours, but still working), I passed my first online college class, I'm not tired all the time, I'm not depressed, I can go all day without a nap! (trust me, that's a HUGE accomplishment) I went from sleeping an average of 16 hours a day to about 9. I've even started to lose weight! A medication I took over a year ago made me gain 50lbs in 3 months, right after I'd bought my wedding dress. I still have about 45lbs to go, but now that I'm not in pain 24/7, the thought of exercise doesn't immediately tire me out. 

Now that we're up-to-date, I'll continue posting updates on how progress is coming for pain/weight/therapy hooray!

3 comments:

  1. So glad you're starting to feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tamara, I see you're starting to kick your own butt, hopefully, shortly, I'll be right behind ya! Congrats!

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see the updates!! :)

    ReplyDelete