Monday, April 1, 2013

Prior Information for the Purposes of Reference

Ok, so, time for some back-story...

Between the ages of 12 and 18, I had some rather traumatic mental & physical things happen to me. 

 - 6th Grade: Metal fence post hit me in the head (total accident) & had my appendix removed on Christmas. 

 - 7th Grade: Lost all my friends (no, really, none of them would speak to or be seen with me because I was "too annoying"). Classmates would cheer on days I missed school. The 2 people I invited to my 13th birthday party asked to go home early. Had my face shoved into a rotten banana creme pie. Got suspended for falling down an icy hill.

 - 8th Grade: Pushed down a hill - likely injuring my tailbone. Got suspended for a fight involving 2 other people that I wasn't aware was happening. Got suspended again for asking fellow student to stop petting me. 

 - 9th Grade: Freshman Year was actually pretty awesome though I did get suspended for being throw in the bushes. Apparently I "deserved it" according to the teacher who suspended me.

 - 10th Grade: Became seriously ill out of nowhere, never did figure out how/why/what was wrong - 3 weeks of complete bed-rest, suddenly better, no idea why, never happened again. Received a death threat for standing up for a friend wrongly accused of rape. Had a fellow student throw me down a hallway for yelling in his ear (he picked me up while I was wearing a miniskirt) thus causing the top 3 vertebrae in my neck to compact and landing me in the hospital for 4 days for my 16th birthday. I got in suspended for yelling (cursing I think was the larger problem), the thrower received no repercussions. These things together almost caused me to fail 10th Grade.

 - 11th Grade: Pushed down a flight of stairs (accidentally). Had a chair yanked out from under me causing me to hit my head twice and land twisted - got in trouble for yelling but chair-puller got off scotch-free. Best friend committed suicide (at school) right before Christmas. Expelled illegally 10 days before end of the school year as a political move to convince my father to quit working for our school district. It worked.

 - Summer between 11th and 12th Grades: Traveled to the UK and France, was almost killed twice in 3 weeks. Lost 15 pounds in 3 weeks (going from 110lbs to 95lbs). Got locked in a woolen mill in Edinburgh during the Edinburgh riots. Left Heathrow Airport 20 minutes before it was closed due to a bomb threat. All-in-all, I had an AMAZING time! :D Let it never be said that I dislike adventure, danger, or thrill-seeking.

 - 12th Grade: Expulsion erased, I got to finish Primary & Secondary School with my friends. Attacked by ex-boyfriend the weekend prior to school starting, landing me in the hospital for my first day of Senior year, injured tailbone, kidneys, and bottom 3 vertebrae. Suspended again, but I don't remember what for.

 - Summer between HS ending and first year of college: First job goes terribly, Brother-in-Law dies suddenly in car accident, & best female friend leaves for college across the country, beginning the year from hell.

 - Freshman Year of College:  I get chickenpox (FINALLY), diagnosed with arthritis in my spine, take medical leave from school, brother and his wife split up, live-in boyfriend tries to cheat on me, best male friend leaves for the military on my birthday, worst break-up ever, new roommates all quit their jobs leaving the whole rent to me. BUT... I meet my husband <3 :D thus ending the year from hell.


WHEW! So, there's the rough (truly) back-story of how I got so messed up. During those years, I had no idea it would all stack to create problems. All I saw were individual incidents that I could deal with later. I had a great home life, a supportive family, and pretty amazing friends. Everyone struggles in Jr High, no one escapes High School unscathed, and I didn't feel particularly singled out most of the time. I still have no ill-will toward any students I went to school with. If anything, I have issue with the many adults that failed to make school a safe environment. I also never felt "alone" I knew I wasn't the only person to get picked on, or to have teachers I didn't like, or to have to deal with crappy situations sometimes. I figured all these things were just helping me be a better, more relatable, and understanding person. Unfortunately my sub-conscious did not share the same sentiments. 

2 comments:

  1. Dude! That's a lot! I'm sorry that the adults in these situations failed at being good protectors and advocates for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the most confusing part was that my parents were great advocates, but I didn't know how to explain to them that these adults were different. The poor ones also did a fair job of tattling on me to my dad, effectively making him think they were just whining about me being a typical teen. But, then again, this situation could have happened at any school, and hindsight is always 20/20.

      Delete